NRW (MWIDE): Digitization of public administrative procedures
Since 2018, the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Innovation, Digitalization and Energy (MWIDE) has been promoting digitalization at the municipal level through the "Digital Model Regions NRW" program. The challenge of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Innovation, Digitalization and Energy of North Rhine-Westphalia was to initiate innovative digitalization projects, to evaluate them with regard to their after-use potential, and to ensure the broadly effective transferability of these model projects throughout the entire federal state. The heterogeneous starting situation of the municipalities as well as the vertical (federal-state-municipalities) as well as horizontal cooperation (inter-municipalities) required a project design with customized cooperation and consulting formats as well as a high degree of individualization. The Corona pandemic is also increasing the digitization pressure on municipalities and requires a fast and agile approach to the implementation of new projects. You can find the complete guide here.
Procedure and methods
The challenge is to ensure that all 396 municipalities and 31 districts in NRW benefit from the pilot projects, as well as:
- a link is created between scientific knowledge and practical implementation.
- a continuous evaluation and adaptation of the funding program is created.
- a transfer between model regions and NRW is guaranteed.
- the interoperability of the developed solutions is promoted.
- the continuation of inter-municipal cooperation and state-municipal cooperation is promoted.
Accompanying research is characterized by the direct link between scientific research and practical implementation consulting.
- Scientific analysis and evaluation of current trends and review of technological maturity for municipal feasibility.
- Promotion of municipal cooperation and establishment of a multi-actor network (e.g. CDO workshops).
- Evaluation of the funding program and review of the reusability of the developed approaches.
- Direct consulting of municipalities to promote reuse....
The project promotes the rapid, efficient and broad-based implementation of digitization in the public sector, as well as the
- Promoting the transferability of pilot projects to accelerate development and implementation cycles.
- Strengthening inter-municipal cooperation by networking individual projects, avoiding parallel developments and promoting common platforms.
- Initiation of new projects, based on quarterly trend reports and requirements from the field.
- Improved public services for citizens and businesses.
The solution approach consists of the connection between scientific methods and the direct consulting services of municipalities. This is achieved by combining the four pillars of the consulting mandate: a) scientific evaluation; b) quarterly trend analyses; c) feeding the results into model regions within the framework of exchange and transfer events, d) practice-oriented and individual consulting of municipalities (knowledge transfer from the model regions).
The great success of the project is the consolidation of the established network, which leads to a fast and efficient implementation of digital solutions at the municipal level. Through the direct transfer of knowledge and inter-municipal cooperation, the results and learning effects from the model projects are transferred more quickly to the entire state.